Shrive to Shiva with 10 cm. photographic scale.

Female water spirits beings continuously refill the sacred pools. 


A complex of three pools of water is situated in front of the Cave temple.

The sanctuary of Goa Gajah, often called Elephant Cave by English speakers, became known to Western researchers in 1923 when it was described by L. C. Heything, an official of the Dutch East Indies government. In 1925 the site was researched by Stuterheim with additional research and conservation starting in 1950 by the Archaeological service of Indonesia - Bali Branch by J. L. Krijman.

Shrine to Shiva in niche at the end of the right hand passageway.

Fresh offerings left to Shiva.


Broken fragments of Hindu statues in the niche where the T-passage ways turns right and left.


Goa Gajah Site in Bali, Indonesia

Prof. Michael Fuller at the cave temple entrance; April 2023.

A passageway leads from the mouth of the temple to a T junction; several niches in the wall of the main passageway would have originally contained statuary.


The temple remains sacred to the local community and the art of the temple complex reflects both Hindu and 

Buddhist spiritual beliefs. The construction of the temple is assigned to the Warmadewa Dynasty (10th to 14th centuries AD) and includes both above ground and underground installations. The entrance to the underground temple is very impressive as it requires stepping into the open mouth of a fierce monster that shares many aspects in common with the Kirtimukha (Sanskrit, glorious face) that is associated with the sacred stories of 


Michael Fuller

Ganesh statue in the niche at the end of the left hand passageway. 


A passageway on the right hand side of the T-intersection leads to the Shiva shrine.